Find your perfect Type
- Tahitian: The Tahitian pearl is an organic gem formed from the black lip oyster (Pinctada margaritifera). These pearls derive their name from the fact that they are primarily cultivated around the islands of Tahiti.
- Akoya,South Sea, Freshwater: Cultured in the Akoya oyster and primarily found in Japan, Akoya pearls are lustrous and are generally white or cream coloured. South Sea pearls come from the white-lipped variety of the pinctada maxima oyster. This oyster is much larger than the oysters that produce Akoya and Freshwater pearls, so the pearl is much larger as well. Australia produces the best south sea pearls in the world. Freshwater pearls are real pearls that are farmed and created using freshwater mussels.
- Baroque: Baroque pearls, prounounced ‘bah roak’, are pearls with an irregular non-spherical shape. Shapes can range from minor aberrations to distinctly ovoid, curved, pinch, or lumpy shapes. They are the absolute opposite of traditional pearls because each one has its very own shape and size.
- Coin: Coin pearls are cultured, mostly farmed in China in freshwater mussels in river, lakes or streams. The pearl farmer will insert a flat round nucleus made of shell to help the mussel form the shape of the coin pearl, turning the shell so that there is an equal thickness of nacre on both sides of the pearl.
- Keshi: Keshi pearls are small non-nucleated pearls typically formed as by-products of pearl cultivation.
Find your perfect length
PandaPearls have pearls of every colour, shape, size and lustre but did you know that pearls have their own vocabulary for length?
- 14" Collar: A collar sits high and hangs directly against the neck. Very Jacqui O!
- 16" Choker: A choker sits at the base of the neck. Very much worn by HRH, The Queen.
- 18" Princess: The princess length hangs just below the collarbone.
- 20" Matinee: The matinee length hangs just above the breast or décolletage.
- 24" Opera: The opera length is much longer and reaches the sternum of the wearer.
- 30"+ Rope or Lariat: Finally the rope hangs at any length longer than the opera.
Can't find the perfect strand? We can make it for you!
PandaPearls generally advise that with longer strands, you allow us to include a sterling silver or gold bolt ring clasp when stringing your pearl strands. This enables the wearer to ‘wrap’ the pearls and gives many more options.